Cat Poisonous Pet Foods: What Are They?

by admin
Aliments toxiques pour animal de compagnie : quels sont-ils ?

Many pet owners have at one time or another unwittingly poison their companion by wanting to please them. Or, it is your dog or your cat who made it as it pleases by gorging on a toxic food. It’s easy to give in to the temptation of your pet who begs you at the table. Various leftovers of meals, a piece of cake or cheese, a carcass, can quickly turn into danger if they are eaten by your pet.
It is therefore urgent to know the list of toxic foods, whether you have a canine or a feline, a hen or a rodent, in order to prevent them from unfortunate accidents.

Foods that are dangerous for animals

The dark chocolate and the milk chocolate are real poisons for the animal. The smell of cocoa is likely to attract dogs or cats, but its main component theobromine acts on their body creating heart problems, diarrhea, vomiting, and intense dehydration. In case of excessive or daily consumption, chocolate harms your pet’s health resulting in certain death.

The alcoholic and sweet drinks contain ethanol which carries real risks if the animal consumes it in high doses. Ethanol is also present in the fruit fermentation, like a bad apple or a bread dough, producing the same harmful effects. It is totally inadvisable to make your animal ingest alcohol, or even have it impregnated on its skin, it is only intended for human consumption. It causes disturbance of the nervous system, loss of balance, respiratory problems, drowsiness and limb paralysis.

Suitable for daily consumption in all homes, coffee and tea are as toxic as chocolate thus producing similar adverse effects. Depending on the ingested dose of caffeine or theine, the animal’s body is not designed to withstand the substance, which is devastating to its digestive and cardiac system.

It is recommended that you never give your pet the lawyer, be it its flesh, skin or seeds. If he consumes it, certain symptoms may appear later such as digestive problems, cardiovascular problems or breathing difficulties.

Potatoes raw or starting to sprout

It’s a starchy tuber that damages your pet’s kidneys and bladder. The baked potato is less harmful, but it is necessary to ensure that it is crushed or pureed before making it consume to your companion to avoid the risk of constipation.

Onion, shallot, garlic, leek

Yes some vegetables enhance our dishes on a daily basis, they are nonetheless destructive for the organism of an animal. Indeed, their component destroys red blood cells, responsible for oxygenation in the body. Then follows a big general fatigue, digestive and respiratory problems, even the death of the animal.

White grapes, red grapes or raisins are highly toxic, even in small amounts. Digestion disorders then occur, followed by renal failure which can fatally lead to the death of the animal.

An avocado stone, grape or apple seeds, when crushed, are real toxins for animals. They can cause digestive disorders or intestinal obstruction.

Lactose, cow’s milk and goat’s milk are among the fatty foods found in yogurt, cheese, cream or ice cream. Source of food intolerance in animals, they can therefore suffer from severe diarrhea or acute vomiting.

In case of ingestion of raw, leavened or fermented dough, it is urgent to go to the veterinarian, because the stomach of the animal, victim of digestive and respiratory disorders, will not be able to digest these raw foods containing ethanol.

Rich in phosphorus, all raw or cooked nuts may poison the animal with fever or vomiting.

Raw gnawing bone is very popular with dogs, especially beef bone or marrow bone. You should know, however, that poultry bones (chicken, turkey), duck or rabbit bones are dangerous because they easily break under the fangs, at the risk of being swallowed whole. They can then perforate the stomach, esophagus or other organ.

Present in many industry foods, lsalt or sugar should definitely be avoided in your pet’s bowl. If you are a follower of the BARF diet, be careful to select quality meat, fresh fish, or canned foods low in salt, without preservatives or chemical additives.

What if my pet has been poisoned?

If your pet has ingested a toxic food, you should promptly contact your veterinarian where the emergency services from the veterinary clinic. The reflex that any good owner can have is to want to make his animal vomit. However, this is a very bad idea, and it could even have the opposite effect, and make the situation worse. Do not attempt to treat it with human medication either.

It is essential to communicate the most information possible over the phone about what your animal has swallowed, namely, type of food, amount, time of intake, weight and age of the animal, existing health problems.

The symptoms of an intoxicated animal are easily identifiable:

  • Digestive discomfort: excessive salivation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain;
  • Breathing difficulties: cough, shortness of breath, dyspnea, blue tongue, runny nose;

  • Neurological disorders: anemia, loss of balance, hyperactivity, spasms and tremors, convulsions, skeletal-muscular disorders;

  • Blood loss: bleeding in the stool or vomiting.

The prevention is the best option to adopt to significantly reduce the risk of ingesting toxic foods. Fatally toxic household products are in principle kept away from children, stored high up, inaccessible or locked in a cupboard. Do this to avoid poisoning in animals by hiding fruits, vegetables or other dangerous foods in the fridge, avoiding leaving them lying around on your kitchen table or counter. Animals are smart and can easily find the food they want, no matter how toxic it is.

In conclusion, you know everything about harmful foods for your pet domesticated. Keep sweets or chocolate away, carefully stored in your cupboards, preferably well closed and high up. Sugar can attract any animal who will not differentiate between what is good or bad for him. In addition, some plants also remain toxic, such as lily of the valley, oleander, aloe or heather. In this case, it is better not to plant it in your garden to be peaceful and serene.

Related articles :
6 houseplants that are toxic to our pets
Superfoods for our animals: Boost their health
Natural dog treats: how to reward it?
Mutilated Horses: Mobilize and Protect Your Horse

Discover Also